Friday, April 8, 2011

Getting Ready



There is just a little over a week until I start out on my road trip adventure. Today I am making a test run on setting up my tent in the back yard and the things that will be used with it.

 The case said it sets up in 10 minutes. It took me almost that long to unpack it and figure out what everything was for. Even then I made some mistakes, since the instructions were pretty vague in some areas. Maybe if two people are putting it up you might get it in 10 minutes. The wind didn't help either, but I need to plan for that contingency anyway. Even with keeping the access way zipped up, an ant managed to get inside. Will have to plan for that too. The good news is I made all the mistakes on this try so I now know what not to do. It was a good experience. Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake the next time you make it. ;-D

 I plan to sleep in the tent tonight and then break it down in the morning. The next challenge will be getting it all back in the carrying case.  It is going to be warm tonight (low of 70) so getting cold is not going to be a problem. Actually I wish is was going to be at least 10 degrees cooler, but it is what it is. I even plan to make my coffee on my little propane burner system to heat water and then brew some Starbucks "Via" instant coffee. Now that's what I call roughing it!  11 days and counting......

3 comments:

  1. Good idea on the dry run. Maybe you and the kids can sleep in our backyard once you get here. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's probably there and I just didn't see it, but do you have a tarp under the tent to protect from pointy things, like rocks? Or if it rains to keep water from coming under the tent floor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you should change the name of your blog to Bugs In My Tent!

    I think Joshua is onto something...

    ReplyDelete