Friday, April 22, 2011

Day 1 Marathon

Finished Day 1 of my road trip adventure, which was all about the drive as will be tomorrow to get to the Grand Canyon tomorrow afternoon. Made it to Albuquerque this evening from Dallas. 11 hours total and over 9 hours driving. Lots of sunshine on the road and the wind was really blowing.  Made it to Amarillo around 2:30 and had a great lunch at Cracker Barrel - Chicken Tenders, Turnip Greens, Hash Brown Casserole, Cornbread, Tea and top it off with blackberry cobbler and Blue Bell. If I hadn't had to drive to Albuquerque I would have looked for a place to take a nap after all that food.

Will get some much needed rest tonight and head out tomorrow morning stopping for lunch in Flagstaff and then on in to the canyon campground.

Today's bug count: 53. There were three when I gassed up in Witchita Falls (See Pic Below). When I gassed up in Tucumcari, I tried counting them but there were too many and most of them were just little smears, not nice splats, so I estimated them at 50. Oh I clean  them off each time so I can count only the new ones.

Oh, did I mention that I have a female traveling companion. Her name is Samantha and she is quite mysterious. (I know they all are!) She doesn't say much, but when she does she commands your attention with statements like "In 1 mile take exit so and so on right" etc. She also gets a little annoyed when you don't do what she says and issues warnings like "Recalculating!" or "Make a U-turn at the nearest intersection!" etc. Other than that we get along just fine and should have a amicable relationship during the trip, and I don't have to stop and ask direction!  ;-D

Below are a few "car shots" I took on the way today.

Distance and Stats for The First day
Not bad gas mileage considering the car is loaded up and the speed limit went up to 75 in NM.

 Odometer Reading Starting Out - I'll see what it reads when I get home

 Got to follow this bad boy and three others in front of him from Denton to Decatur

 First Bug Splat between Decatur and Wichita Falls

 Interesting old building in Chilicothe TX

 A warning at a rest stop in West Texas

Only 3 hours to go from here to Albuquerque

2 comments:

  1. You made great time on ol 287 and I-40 must have blown you around quite a bit. I suppose the 2 hours were spent eating that huge meal [keep that up and you will gain weight on this trip] and hopefully several short stops to stretch and kick the tires.

    You've caught some unique pics - keep up the good work.

    George

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the sound of your traveling companion, Dad!: A woman who tells you what to do and doesn't take no for an answer.

    ReplyDelete