Sunday, April 24, 2011

Day 2 Marathon

I wrote this last night but couldn't post it until today once I found a wi-fi connection

 Happy Camper!
 What a view!
 Ditto
 Ditton
Day 2 Stats. The mileage is the total trip. Still getting pretty good MPG


Day 2 - Saturday April 23, 2011

Today’s Bug Count: 30

Drove from Albuquerque to the Grand Canyon today arriving early afternoon after a stopover in Flagstaff  at the Cracker Barrel to partake of some chicken-n-dumplings, green beans, fried okra, cornbread and the piece de resistance – double fudge Coca-Cola cake and wash it all down with some ice tea.

Got to my campsite and commenced to try to set up my tent. I had to move my location three times before I found an area where I could drive most of the stakes into the ground. Maybe it’s the altitude and two days of marathon driving, but I was beat by the time I finished. Took me over an hour to get it all set up, but now it’s done. The tent went up easy once the site location was set. Expecting some rain showers tonight and tomorrow with possible gusty winds so I guess I’ll see how well it holds. Actually we got a little sleet just a while ago.

Ventured out to the canyon rim to get my first view of the magnificence of this place and check in at the Ranger office and one of the visitor centers. Went to the Friend of the Canyon bookstore and picked up an National Parks Passport so I can get it stamped at all the park locations I am visiting. Joined the organization since it will get me discounts at all the parks, etc. Came back to the campsite and decided to see how the showers were and wash off some of the grime from my work out today (campsite set up). Nice hot water! $2 for eight minutes which turned out to be ample time to get washed up, etc. Returned and made some coffee and had some beef jerky and a granola bar for supper.

Checked on a sunrise service tomorrow which is scheduled for 5:30 am. I will have to get up at 4 am if I am going to make it. Not sure how that’s going to work out. Low tonight around 30F, so I hope I don’t freeze by buns off.

Samantha and I are getting along just fine so far. She’s sleeping in the car and I’m sleeping in the tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment