Friday, June 3, 2011

Homeward Bound – Day 3: KC to Springdale, AR


I awoke this morning around 3:30 am to go to the bathroom. When I got back to bed I was wide awake. I dozed for the next couple of hours and finally gave up and got up a little before 6 am. I looked out the window at partly overcast skies and the sunrise was just beginning to be seen through the haze. I checked some news sites on my computer and around 7 am got dressed and went down for breakfast. I came back to my room and checked on the opening times for the National Frontier Trails Museum and the Harry Truman Home Historic Site in Independence, Mo which was about a 40 minute drive from the hotel and not too far out of my way on my travels today. I checked out of the hotel a little after 8 am and headed toward Independence.

Sunrise over KC

I arrived at the Truman Home Visitor Center a little after 9 am and signed up for the 9:30 tour. My NPS annual pass got me the tour for free. I drove to the home site arriving around 9:15 am and there was only one other person waiting for the 9:15 am tour so the park ranger let me go on that tour.


 Last Car Truman Bought: A 1972 Chrysler and it has only 19,000 miles on it

Truman Home


After the tour I walked around the perimeter of the Truman Home and then decided to go visit the Truman Presidential Library. I purchased a ticket and toured the facility and listened in on some of the volunteer guides speaking to tour groups in some of the areas. Harry Truman, I believe was my Dad’s favorite president. He liked ‘Ol Give ‘Em Hell Harry”. My Dad was a life-long Democrat, but he voted for Goldwater, since he could not stand LBJ, who he considered a crook.


Harry S. Truman Presidential Library

Oval Office Replica in the Library


One of two new cars he bought as a Senator

Presidential China



After the Presidential Library, I drove over to the National Frontier Trails Museum arriving around 10:30 am. I was the first visitor of the day and watched the video presentation and then toured the facility. On my way to the car I walked over to the Chicago-Alton Railroad station and toured around it for a little while. I returned to my car around 11:30 am and started out on my drive to Springdale, AR which Samantha said was about 3-1/2 hours away.



Frontier Trails Museum

One of the Exhibits

Railroad Depot: Was moved to this site and restored


One of the displays inside

I made a stop at a Quik Trip for a Coke and a snack just outside KC and continued on my journey. I arrived in Springdale at the Super 8 a few minutes after 3 pm and checked in.





Scenes Along the Road from KC to Springdale

 This evening I had the pleasure of having dinner and visiting with my friends, Bill and Kim Phillips. It was good to see them, having been over 4 years since we last got together and it was a good time of catching up on what’s going on in each of our lives and our families.


Tomorrow is the beginning of the end of my road trip as I drive the final leg home, anticipating arriving early in the afternoon. It has been fun, but I am glad it is coming to an end. Now if I can just get used to the heat in the Dallas area when I return.

See you down the road!

1 comment:

  1. Hello!I've misplaced your business card in my car! It was a pleasure meeting you on your adventures in Yosemite! :) I DID pass my Wilderness EMT class, so thank you so much for all of your support! Keep in touch! msdsmoss@gmail.com
    :) Dara

    ReplyDelete