Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Homeward Bound – Day 1

Today’s Bug Count: Over 200 and Yesterday Over 200. The warmer temps really brought the little buggers out and some big buggers!


Big Splat among little splats

I got to sleep last night around 11 pm and was sleeping soundly when the clock alarm went off at midnight. I had not set it, so apparently the switch got moved by the cleaning staff. After searching for the source of the sound that was invading my sleep, I finally managed to find it and shut it off. Fortunately I went right back to sleep. Around 5:15 am I woke up because the room was getting light. I dozed for a while and finally gave in and got up a little after 5:30 am.  I walked to the window and looked out at clear skies and the sun low on the horizon shining brightly, invading my sleep!. I checked the weather on my PC and browsed a couple of news sites and around 7 am, showered and dressed and went down for breakfast. At breakfast I met a couple from Nashville who were on there way to Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone. After breakfast I returned to my room and packed up my things, checked out and loaded up the car. I headed out a little after 8 am for Sioux Falls.

About 6 miles down the interstate I exited to one of the Minuteman Missile silos that was mentioned as being a self-guided tour. It was about a ½ mile off the interstate down a gravel road. I walked around the site for a few minutes then went back to the car and headed on toward the Minuteman Missile Historic Site Visitor Center 25 miles further along the interstate. When I arrived there I watched the video and then asked about the tour to the other missile site where the launch control museum was located. Unfortunately Wednesday is the only day that tours are by reservation only, and the morning schedule was full. I was able to drive to the site and look around outside the fenced area. After that I got back in the car and continued on my drive toward Sioux Falls.




Minuteman Missile Silo – The missile is for display purposes only

I drove another two hours and stopped at Chamberlain for a rest stop and a snack and continued on. It was now almost 11:30 am Central time as I had crossed into the Central Time Zone. On the way to Chamberlain the sunny skies began to become overcast. The temps were in the mid 60s though.




Scenes Along the Road on the South Dakota Prairie

 I continued on toward Sioux Falls and arrived at my hotel around 3 pm and checked in. The temps were in the high 60s and there were some occasional sprinkles in the area. I unloaded my things in my room and checked on the location of the falls on the Great Sioux River in Falls Park. I drove to the park, with Samantha’s assistance, and walked around the park complex for a little over an hour. Sioux Falls was known as the Queen Bee city and the Queen Bee flour mill originally was along the river at the falls where thy used the  hydraulic power of the falls to turn turbines for the flour mill, etc. All around the falls area were red rocks known as Sioux Quartzite and was used for building and paving materials. I noticed most of the buildings in the park, including the Queen Bee Mill site were built from this material. I left the park and had Samantha navigate me to the Cracker Barrel restaurant where I had dinner consisting of Chicken-n-Dumplings, Turnip Greens, Hash-Brown Casserole, Corn Bread and Ice Tea. Following dinner I returned to the hotel to settle in for the evening.





The Falls on the Great Sioux River at Sioux Falls and the Queen Bee Mill Ruins


A little “old” couple in their Ford convertible in Sioux Falls


Odd Looking Cloud Swirls in the sky.

Tomorrow I will drive to Kansas City, MO to stay for the night with a stop in Omaha, NE to visit the famous Pettit Bakery. At least my friend Bart Pettit says it is famous. His family has owned and operated the bakery since the 1950s, so it should be a nice side diversion. Once I get to KC I will have a decision to make for dinner. I have three BBQ places that were featured on "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives" that I will have to choose from. It’s a dirty job but someone has to do it!

See you down the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment